David qualified as a Chemical engineer at the University of Aston and began his career as a process engineer. His career has included:
- Design work on petrochemical plants in the UK and North Sea oil and gas
- Work in Saudi Arabia, with Aramco, as a Loss Prevention Engineer, specialising in plant safety
- Estimating for major capex projects in the Australian petrochemical industry
- Cost and time management on petrochemical projects, from board approval through to commissioning
- Development of IT systems for project control, integrating with ledger systems
- Implementation of LAN and desktop infrastructure
- Part of a corporate team implementing a corporate SOE and migration of systems to SAP, to ensure Y2K compliance
- Project Management at Hewlett Packard, IBM and BHP, predominantly in IT infrastructure. Projects included:
- SOE upgrades,
- Fibre optic campus installation.
- Firewall and Avamar backup upgrades.
- Citrix management and upgrades.
- Corporate SAP upgrade and consolidation for BHP.
- SWIFT server infrastructure implementation.
His career has been project oriented with significant experience in project time and cost control and project management.